The post before was a simple drill that everybody use, but with an specific purpose to the Rondo. In this one, I wanted to share one of the exercises that I used the most to work my game model. In order to start the play from the back in a combinative way, the movements of the center midfielder are very important. I use this exercise with variations in function of the rival that I’ll be facing and their system (in this case 1-4-2-3-1). I usually use this exercise in a progression starting with that position game and going forward with a small-sided game or a match.
The center midfields must always play in diagonal, and with this exercise I always achieve it. If some of you never used this kind of specific exercises to work your game model, I will be more than happy to help you, just share your thoughts and/or experience about it.
Title: Start of the game. 1-4-4-2 vs 1-4-2-3-1
2 CB (jokers) + RB, LB, RCM, LCM + 2 ST (jokers) VS RCM, LCM, LW, RW & second striker
Technical & Tactical content:
- Passing line.
- Distance between lines (OA).
- Distance in the line (OA).
- Diamond structure (OA).
- Start of the game (OOP).
*OA: Organized Attack. *OOP: Offensive Own Principle.
Box to 2/3 of the field.
+14 years old
Part of the training:
Principle part (task 1 or 2).
Done with Kwiktactix
- CB only could pass the line running with the ball.
- ST could go inside to the area in parallel when CB have the ball or diagonal when CM have the ball. Can not be the 2 strikers playing in the area
- Pass to the strikers should be on the ground.
- CB & CM can not be on the same square.
- LB, RB, LW & RW could only play on the side area.
Key normative (this normative is the one that made the tactical content to appear):
- CM have to play in diagonal areas between them.
- To score a point you have to bring the ball from the jokers of one side to the jokers of the other side.
Key aspects to correct by the coach:
- Body positioning of the CM to recieve the ball seeing the maximun space possible.
- The CM have to be ALWAYS in passing line.
- The ST should appear to the area, not stay.
- Control with the inside of the foot.
- Remark the tactical content. Switching the orientation of the game.
Cofounder & Coach– 8 years with FC Barcelona Youth teams. – 4 years with Real Madrid Youth teams. – Spanish U15– U14 National Team. – Soccer Coach in Hong Kong’s AC Milan School – UEFA A Licensed Coach. –Diego at Wikipedia